Sunday, April 27, 2008

Sabbath Blessed Sabbath

Its early on Sunday morning. The day is starting out gray and cool. Through the open windows I can hear birds shuffling around. I think they're trying to get a few extra minutes of sleep too. The cool air feels like it has extra oxygen in it. Fresh coffee and good music are ready.

This is sabbath.

This is rest. Soon we'll head off to church to meet with the brothers and sisters in the Body of Christ in Northern Virginia. Some say the church is too big but I take comfort in the fact that I'm am part of something very, very big. I love the cars lined up. I love the voices raised. I love the visitors getting greeted and directions. All of it says, "you are not alone." He has brought a community around us and now we can meet to worship Him.

That is Sabbath in America. It is the Sabbath I know. It is the Sabbath my culture has given me. I know Sabbath has been celebrated in many ways over the last 15 or so hours as the sun has circled the globe and I am glad to add my voice to the worldwide chorus.

To participate in the worship of the King of the Universe is so much more than I deserve. Thank you Lord for this grace and mercy of a Sabbath.

No comments: