Saturday, April 26, 2008

Lessons from 395


Like almost every other federal worker in D.C. a great deal of my life is spent commuting. Normally I don't mind it. The 2+ hours a day I spend in the car are literally my only time to think on most days. Most of my co-workers would attest to that statement.

Usually I podcast and I love it. The iPod has freed me from the drudgery of live radio. Today news from Africa, a few songs then a sermon from Erwin or Mark. Tomorrow a thought from Rob or Francis then NPR stories and NASCAR news. Finally, something I can control!

This morning, as I was cresting the hill on 395 above the Pentagon, I was enjoying selected readings from John Eldredge's Walking with God. I haven't purchased the book yet but I loved his stories detailing his own life walking with God. I have to say that this book departs from my understanding of God's will for our life (that there is no perfect single will) but it resonates with my understanding that God wishes to communicate with me all the time every day through prayer and reflection grounded in the Bible.

Anyway, in this morning John was talking about an experience hiking up a Colorado river to find a new creek he hoped to fly fish. Although I've never done it, fly fishing is a goal of mine some day. But this Friday morning as I'm stuck sitting still on a six lane highway on the east coast fly fishing is about as close to my experience as sitting on the moon.

So as my imagination drifts over to those placid western streams I notice a G5 private jet taking off from National Airport. And instantly I'm jerked into another fantasy. I love those jets! I love the freedom and luxury of commanding a pilot to fly me wherever. I'm attracted to the glamor and sophistication of private flight.

So there I am stuck on 395 at 8:55AM between two equally attractive fantasies. One of simple natural pleasures and the other of wealth and luxury. I'm everywhere and anywhere but where I actually am!

Finally, I notice Washington laid out below me. I love this city. I love my work here and I love the people who live and work here. But while God has me exactly where he wants me right now - and I'm challenged by the life I get to lead - I still am distracted into dreams about things I don't need.

I want my life to be my fantasy life. But I don't know how to do that. How do you get to a place where you really see the life God is giving you? I don't know but maybe I'll figure that out on tomorrow's commute.

No comments: